Sunday, November 9, 2008

Coaching Opportunity!!!!



Definition of ODP (taken from utahyouthsoccer.net): "US Youth Soccer’s ODP is a national program that has been in existence since 1977 and is considered the finest soccer program in the country. ODP is designed to identify and develop talented youth soccer players throughout the country to represent their state association, region and the United States in soccer competition. ODP is offered as a compliment to club programs as an additional resource for player development as they prepare for state, regional, national and international competitions."

Yesterday I received a phone call from the father of a goalkeeper I have been training for the past six weeks. She has been on the state ODP team for Utah for the last three years. One of the coaches approached her father at tryouts and told him that he has seen huge improvements in this goalkeeper and wanted to know what she had been doing. The father told the coach that she had been training with a new goalkeeper trainer, and he proceeded to tell this coach about me, the kinds of sessions I run, etc. So the coach asked the father get me on the phone right there on the spot, and the coach asked me if I would be interested in being on the ODP goalkeeping staff for the state of Utah! Now, I'll be honest, I am NOT a big fan of ODP...the politics involved just irritate me, but any coach knows that you're an idiot if you turn down an opportunity like this when it presents itself. I am very excited. I don't know how big ODP is here in Utah, but in California, it is HUGE. The coach told me that he needs to talk to the head honcho and the Director of Coaching to finalize everything, but I am to report to tryouts next week. I have two very good friends on the goalkeeping staff, so it will be fun to work with people I know and network with coaches I don't know!

6 comments:

Grant and Stacy said...

AWESOME! Congratulations Marla! Is this something that could turn into a career, or would it still have to remain a side job?

Pallas said...

That is so awesome Marla!!!! Also congrats on the new 4runner! It totally suits you! I am glad things are going well!

Big Tom the Great and Magnificent said...

Sweet! When I was younger like 12 or so..I was asked to play ODP in Arizona. Unfortunately we couldnt afford it back then, but I had some friends that played. Greg Vanney, Dave Cameron..Dave played professional indoor and Greg played for the US national team. THis will be a good opportunity for you kid!

Anonymous said...

Oh Miss Marla. Yer mommy is so very very proud of you and this wonderful opportunity to be involved in ODP. This is your foretay (forte?#!@!$...whatever-- teaching! You are a marvelous teacher and whoever takes your classes or benefits from your coaching is bound to so much the better person as well as player. WHOO-HOO for U, Darlin'!!! Love and hugs from yer mommy....

Donya said...

You ROCK! Of course, I'm not the least bit surprised cuz you are amazing! Best of luck with your new opportunity.

Hugs, Donya

Elizabeth said...

That is SOOOO AWESOME!!! Sorry, I have been a bit out of the loop lately, but seriously, this is SOOOO cool!!! CONGRATS!!!