Risk more than others think is safe, care more than others think is wise, dream more than others think is practical, expect more than others think is possible.
Friday, November 28, 2008
Cambodian Killing Fields....and I'm complaining about what????
I am in St. George with my little U11 team. Tonight we all went to dinner. We waited for over an hour for our food. There's a girl on my team who is Cambodian and I sat next to her mom at dinner. We talked a lot about her experiences in Cambodia as she was growing up, living there during the time of communism and when there were the "killing fields." She said that they didn't have very much to eat (one bowl of water with some rice thrown in), she still has nightmares of people chasing her...basically, the Cambodian killing fields happened in the 1970s. This group took over a major city, forced 2 million people out into the countryside where they worked 12-14 hours a day. They killed off anyone who was "different," educated, or would not give their loyalty to the group doing all the killing (I don't know very much about this, but I read a little about it so I was more knowledgable of it). Basically, its the Cambodian Holocaust. Close to 2 million people died. As I sat there listening to her, I just thought about how blessed I am. What do I have to complain about? I have a loving family, I live in a free country where there is peace (for the most part), I don't have to walk around wondering whether or not me or my family will survive the day, I have enough food to eat, I have a roof over my head, I have a stable job....what do I have to complain about? I am so blessed.
1 comment:
You ARE blessed...you have me in your life.
Post a Comment