Here's a discussion post response I wrote for my grad school class. The teacher responded to another student asking her how she could help students learn through discovery on clear cut concepts, here is how I am responding to that post (you have to read all the way through to get to the "scholarly" part):
"I think there are ways to help students be curious about "clear cut" concepts. For example, when working with homonyms and homophones, I give my students a story about the princess and the pea, except, I change some of the words (ex: pea vs. pee) giving students the option of which "pea/pee" they should use. If the story were entitled the Princess and the Pee, it completely changes the meaning. Students explore which word is correct and why. Obviously, because they know that the story Princess and the Pee is not about urinating, they know that the word "Pee," which means to urinate is incorrect and should be changed to "Pea" the vegetable. Students immediately discover that the wrong word is being used."
Um...yeah...that totally deserves an A....it doesn't even relate to "clear cut" concepts, but it just sounded good! Woo hoo! Yeah for scholarly people!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment