Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Something No One Should Have to Go Through...

Yesterday, I attended the funeral of Sophia Ann Hathaway (Feb. 27, 2009-March 7, 2009). I have never met Sophia, but I was looking forward to. On Saturday, I received the news that Sophia had passed away. My heart just ached, I couldn’t find the words to explain what I was thinking and feeling…what do you say in a situation like that? Sophia is the sister of one of my U11 soccer players. I have never attended a service for a brand new baby before and on the way home, I kept thinking, “no one should have to bury a child.” It was one of the toughest things I’ve ever experienced…next to losing my dad. Words can’t even express all the thoughts that went through my mind and emotions I went through during both the viewing and the service. I was feeling heartache and sorrow for the family…the “why” questions come into play…I wanted to do something to ease their pain, yet there really was nothing that could be done. All I could say to them when I saw them at the viewing was tell them that they are loved. That’s all someone can really say. I watched my little soccer team and their families who were mourning with their dear teammate and friend, I looked at the high school football players who were dressed in their jerseys in support of their coach (the father of the child), I watched the pink and white balloons that were released during a song that was composed in memory of Sophia…for me it was kind of like we were saying goodbye to this little spirit and the family was releasing her from their grasps...which will be such a hard thing to ever come to terms with, I watched grown men break down and cry, I heard of love and was challenged to be more loving to those around me….and through all of this, everyone was there to show love for a family who lost a child, and to pay their respects to a little life who touched the hearts of many, included those who never met her. I was grateful for a knowledge that those children who die before the age of accountability return to their Heavenly Father as pure and innocent spirits who are not tainted or harmed by this world. I was grateful for the knowledge that families can be together forever, even after this life. I was grateful for the knowledge that Heavenly Father has a plan...we may never understand it, and it is because of that plan that we can be reunited with our families after death…death may be an end on earth, but it’s not an ultimate end…but while we are here on earth, we miss those who have gone before us...that is something that will always be in the back of one’s mind and no one can tell someone that they’ve had enough time to “move on”…we may move on with life, but the memories and aching is always there. This is one of those things that really makes you take a look at your life and figure out what is important, and recognize the things that don’t really matter in the grand scheme of things. Even as I write this, I feel I am not making sense...I feel like there's more I should think, or that I should have a different mindset...it's something that is really hard and teaches all of us a great lesson about life in so many different ways. The link to the obituary is below:

Sophia Ann Hathaway

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

What you wrote was just right, such a beautiful testimony & expression of love & grief for your friends. Moments like these can rock us to the core...but they are also testimony builders. So glad you have your testimony & can find peace within the sadness.

We'll be adding the Hathaway family to our prayers.

Donya said...

Not much to say, just know you and your friends our in our prayers. Love you Marla.