Today, Lone Peak High School held its annual freedom assembly. The whole week is dedicated to celebrating freedom. Each class (sophomores, juniors and seniors) decorate a hallway that relates to the theme, which this year was "Symbols of Freedom," and all week there are activities for the kids. This is probably the best assembly of the year. And if you have never seen 2000 kids remain reverent and quiet for almost two hours, then you are missing out. Today, Stephen R. Covey spoke about the elements of freedom and urged the kids to teach the five principles he spoke of to their families and friends. He also talked about how it is our responsibility to uphold our liberties, because when we use freedom responsibly, we expand and maintain our freedoms. Mr. Covey is an amazing speaker. He held the attention of these kids for 30 minutes...no one was talking, cell phones were off...it was amazing. Then we heard from three students from LPHS who placed 1st, 2nd and 3rd in the Veterans of Foreign Wars essay contest. They each read their essays, which were centered on the topic of honoring our veterans. From there, the aunt and sister of a former LPHS student, William Newman, who was killed in Iraq last summer, spoke about what freedom meant to them. The most moving part of the assembly occurred after the tribute to our veterans. Our student council made a video montage of LPHS students and teachers giving reasons why they are proud to be an American. This went along with the song God Bless the USA (my ringback tone and my ring tone!--if you didn't know that, you haven't called me for a very long time!). When the chorus kicked in, the students began standing and singing, and soon, every person in that room was standing and singing the song. I don't cry very often, but this brought tears to my eyes. After the video montage, we witnessed a flag folding ceremony in honor of William Newman. The room was completely silent as three Korean War veterans carried out the flag folding ceremony and presented it to William's family. Even after the flag had been presented, the room remained completely silent, everyone standing with their hands over their hearts...remember...there were close to 2000 teenagers present.
I love freedom week at LPHS. It's important for our youth to understand what is entailed in maintaining the liberties and freedoms we enjoy here in this country, and to be thankful for this great country in which we live. Today was also a reminder to me of how grateful I am to live in this country and be a part of preparing our youth to uphold the principles of freedom so they will teach others to do the same as they leave their "high school bubble" and go make their mark in the world.
3 comments:
Wow, what a remarkable high school! Sounds like an amazing experience.
Two years ago, I really wanted to go to the Freedom assembly, but I remember staying in the science prep area puking my guts out!!! I still with I could have been there!
I think they should do this in every school in America! I got a little teary myself just reading about it. Thanks for sharing this experience!!
Post a Comment