Sunday, September 14, 2008

Needed Breaks and Overcoming Fear of Heights!




I am sitting in my cousin's cabin up in Bear Lake. It is awesome up here! So peaceful. I came up last night to take a much needed break. It's been AWESOME! Thanks to Karen and Troy, and to Aunt Joyce for sharing their cabin with me so it was possible for me to get away for a matter of hours!!!! Last night I watched the full moon rise up over the lake and this morning I woke up early enough to watch the sunrise...it really puts things in perspective when you can simply sit back and enjoy something as simple as those two acts of nature...it reminds me of the little blessings Heavenly Father grants us each day to remind us that He loves His children and is very aware of them. I will be heading back to Alpine tonight after making a stop in Tremonton for dinner with my friend's parents! YUMMY!!!!!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Over Labor Day I went to see my mom in Oceanside. When I walked into the bedroom I would be using, I found this basket of flowers with the dolphin balloon! It was a nice warm welcome and a great, relaxing weekend at the beach!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For professional development, the faculty at Lone Peak spent the day at Camp Williams. I am a professional development team leader this year, so I had the opportunity to lead my group through the team building activities and make parallels to teaching and collaborating. In the morning, we did team building games and ended it off with repelling! I am deathly afraid of heights! First I repelled down the wall, then I tried the free repel. The guy holding my rope at the top told me to step on the ledge....I looked down to see nothing but the ground below and I said, "there's no freakin' ledge!" And I was literally freaking out! The ledge was 6" below where I was standing, but you basically had to feel it out because you couldn't see it! Once I found it, he told me lean back and to lower my head below my feet...yeah....right! Anyway, I did it! Our secretary, Sue Faux, was on the other rope. I actually liked the free repel better than the wall!!!! Needless to say, I don't think that's something I would do again voluntarily!!!!! In the afternoon, we went through a series of scenarios where our team had to perform certain tasks in a "combat situation." Out of the entire faculty, we only had three minor injuries and about 6 people get completely wet...it was a lot of fun.




This is one of the Army guys...um...I don't think I'll be trying that anytime soon!

3 comments:

tristanandtricia said...

That picture you posted of the moon at Bear Lake is AMAZING!! Sounds like you have fun things going on. Good luck with everything.

Elizabeth said...

WOW!!! I have never repelled...looks like a lot of fun, Bear Lake, the beach, repelling, yeah, I have a boring life! :) Love ya!

Kathryn said...

Beautiful photos - glad you're feeling the blessings! You ARE loved.

As for repelling - you're nuts. Totally nuts. But in a good way! Congrats on conquering your fears. Me? I'll just hang on to those fears, myself. (wink!)