My mom is doing better and becoming stronger everyday. Yesterday she got up four times to walk with the help of the walker....then she got back into bed and slept! I teased her a little and started running and dancing in circles around her while she was walking and singing the horse racing tune...is that even what it's called?...I don't think she was very happy with that but it made her laugh. There's an elderly lady in my mom's ward who is in a walker and we are going to call her to see if she wants to come over and "walk" with my mom once or twice a day...maybe even race each other around the house..won't that be a sight!
The last three days at the hospital, it has been very hard to rest. Everytime we try to take a nap, someone comes in, wants to check her for something, she needs to move around, etc. The last two nights, the nurses have been waking her every two hours...I will probably be doing the same this week. She has to move frequently to keep up her circulation and so she won't stiffen up. My brothers have been preparing the downstairs and luckily, because of my nieces and nephews, we have a set of "baby monitors" that we can use. Having those baby monitors will help me get her busy with something or know when she wakes up from a nap, and in the meantime I will be able to get other things done around the house! Thank goodness for modern technology!
The great thing about this emergency surgery she had is that the pain she had going from her back down to her right leg is gone! My mom can walk normally (well, as normally as you can with a walker and a 6" incision in your back), and she can sleep on her back and right side for the first time in months! If she can stay disciplined for the next 5 months, this surgery can only benefit her!
Many of you know that my brother Kevin is not able to fly in until the 16th, so we were trying to figure out how to care for my mom the week after I leave. Thankfully, there are several options and thank you to those who have been so willing to step in at the last minute!
Thank you to all for your prayers. We will continually need them over the next few weeks. Everything, so far, is going well and my family has been strengthened and blessed.
2 comments:
Oh bless you Marla! Being a caregiver is such a difficult thing to do. You have certainly stepped up to the plate. I'm sure you don't mind....it's your mom! I just want you to know that there are those of us who recognize how hard this can be on you emotionally and physically. Hang in there. We'll keep all of you in our prayers!
Marla,
I can't believe I just read all of this!! If anyone can do it, YOU CAN!!! You are so incredible to just jump in your car and go! Family does come first!! I admire you!! Your mom is sooo lucky to have a daughter like you!! I wish you and her the best of luck!!
My thoughts and prayers will be with you...
Post a Comment