November 16 and 17
Yesterday, as I was getting off the bus for the dig, Elan (our bus driver) asked me if I had a hat. I told him it was in my bag and he said, “No, wait!” He went back in the bus and came out with a Coca-Cola hat in Hebrew ! He said, “Me, you! Me, you!” How sweet is that! It is by far the coolest thing I have ever gotten on a trip! I worked at the entrance of the columbarium. From 8-5, we filled buckets with dirt. We found some cool bones and pottery pieces, so that was fun. I really wasn’t in a good mood yesterday and Bishop Walkenhorst kept singing songs to cheer me up! It was really quite funny. I wasn’t really sad or anything, just ornery and tired. The bishop started singing to me because I told him that I needed an attitude adjustment! When we returned from the dig, Elan’s family met us at the kibbutz and ate dinner with us. John and I took them some of the children’s clothes we brought over to donate to the Bedouin sheik tomorrow. They were so grateful. We took pictures and Elan went to the bus to grab me and the bishop (who had joined us) a Coke…a coke a day saves your stomach when you travel internationally…just FYI for those of you with sensitive stomachs! Then this morning, Elan came up behind me and said, “Marla, you need water!” He opened my bag and put a bottle in there. What a good man! So kind and caring!
Today was our last day on the dig. I’m so sad! As hard of work as it is, I want to come back and do it again! I feel like I learned so much from this experience and it really changed my perspective and regard for people of the ancient times and also for those who excavate ancient ruins. We dug in the morning and then after lunch, we took a tour of all the sites on the excavation site—the ‘domestic/courtyard’ area, the columbarium, and the horse stables. Then we went to see another columbarium where we had to climb down a 10 foot hole (with the help of a ladder). So apparently there were stairs once you were halfway down the ladder, but because I am a little scared of heights, I didn't even hear the guys tell me that! Then we went to two chapels finished last spring—(one with a mosaic floor which is covered in sand to protect it from vandalism). Then we closed the Olive Press and Ritual Bath with sandbags. So picture a steep set of “stairs,” 10 people lined up (all but two are guys—I am one of the “but two”) and we tossed sandbags down the stairs and stacked them….I have never tossed sandbags before, but after that experience, I realized that I need to start lifting weights again! It was pretty fun…better than the bucket chain! We got together for a group picture with the archeologists and left the site for 6 months (if I go back). Tonight we had dinner at Mike and Sharon’s. Mike was so saddened by our leaving that he started to cry! He told us how much he would miss us and he hates goodbyes.
Tomorrow, we drive to Jerusalem. I am very excited about this part of the trip and to see all these sites that I have heard about my entire life!
No comments:
Post a Comment